posted Nov 16, 2011, 4:05 PM by Leslie Bigos
updated Nov 16, 2011, 9:57 PM
In Attendance: Leslie Bigos, Hugh Lawrence, Anne Gose, Julia Graham, Tracy Mahoney, Paige Collins, Edd George, Dan Bigos, Laura Balent, Elly Budidjaja, Kate Ahrens
- Homecoming Recap
- The band has been busy with 20 performances in 11 weeks
- The raincoats were right for the night.One raincoat has a broken zipper. Discussed using soap for ease of zipping
- Football Play-off Games
- The band is being split into two bands and one band can leave the game after half-time. May use this strategy next year so students are "on" for the entire period their band is committed for.
- Bus for play-off game vs Lakes boards at 4:30 on Friday, returns at 10:30.
- May bring raingear to Lakes game due to cold weather -- predicted 40 degrees.
- The band will not play over Thanksgiving
- The State Championship is December 2nd.
- Basketball Plans
- Games will be on Friday nights
- There will be 3 bands and each band must play 3 games
- There will be an official T-shirt for Basketball games.
- All State -
- 6 band students were selected for All-State, 4 choir student & 4 orchestra students.
- ASB will provide partial funds for the selected students to attend All-State in February
- Boosters will provide scholarships for any students that need additional funds to attend All-State.
- Winter Concert
- Dec 14 @ 7:30 in the Gym
- All performance groups will perform including the 2 Jazz Bans
- Percussion Ensemble will perform either with Concert Band or Wind Ensemble but will not perform as a stand-alone group.
- PTSA Grant
- The Band has been awarded a $800 grant from the PTSA to fund the Wind Ensemble participation in the Central Washington University Wind Ensemble festival
- The next Grant cycle, Mr. George will ask for money to commission works for the Jazz Band and/or other performance groups. The commissioned piece(s) will play to the strengths of the given performance group.
- District Purchase of Baritone- The BSD funded the purchase of a new Baritone horn. Baritone horns are used for marching and are much stronger than a Euphonium.
- Instrument Wish List:
- A Set of 4 new timpani $9000
- 2 new piccolos for marching band $250 each, $500 total
- A drum major podium for marching band $700
- 2 new marching baritones $1900 each, $3000 total
- Covers for harmony director/xylophone
- Jazz Calendar - New events added and this information has been communicated to Jazz Students.
- CDs - need to sell CDs and Winter Concert - Nice keepsake for students.
- Jazz Combos - added some combo dates to the calendar including the Woodridge auction
Disposition of Uniforms
- Gold polo shirts - the old style polo shirts will be sold at the Winter Concert and perhaps donated.
- Old-style marching uniforms - Discussed selling the old-style marching uniforms. Edd George to check on if this allowed.
- Rain Ponchos - voted to donate old ponchos to the homeless.
- Scarf Update - Voted to order more scarves to sell next year. The design will change. Edd George to get pricing.
- Holiday Greenery sale update - Anne Gose
- Drill Team out sold the Band on this fundraiser.
- The profit will be approximately $4600, with $5.00 of each sale going to defray the cost of the Victoria trip.
- We earned approximately $400 less than we budgeted.
- Proposed starting fundraiser earlier next year.
- Greenery pickup us is 2-3:30 on Friday. Edd George to send out Reminder.
- Presented Treasurer's report as prepared by Kevin Klustner.
Alumni Band - Report from Paige Collins
- The Event was Spectacular!
- The group is determining what their on-going involvement is going to be.
- Members of the Alumni group would like to have on-going involvement in supporting the band.
- They will attend Homecoming next year.
- The Jazz Band may perform at Crossroads in the Spring.
- Alumnus Julia Graham to Chair the Event. Yea!
- Western Faculty band will perform at the event
- One adjudicator will be from Western
- No out-of-state judges this year
- SAT will be held on the Saturday of the festival so we will not be using Commons.
- Carol Lawrence Report - She will prepare a "Thank You" for the PTSA for the Grant. She submitted for the BLAST on the wreath pick-up.
Needs are: co-president; publicity co-chair
- Edd George discussed the need for a Concert Grand piano for the new PAC as well as new pianos for music rooms.
- PTSA will have a fund-a-project at the Auction for new pianos
- Discuss other fund-raising ideas.
- Discussed "Buy A Key"
- The new pianos is an effort by the entire music department, not just band.
Review Action Items & Next Meeting Date
Next Meeting December 12th at 7:00PM in the Band room